Thursday, April 25, 2013

Make your own appliques

First of all, I cannot take credit for this fabulous idea.  It belongs to The Polka Dot Closet.  Visit her post here.  It is very detailed.  I cannot believe I have never seen this before!  It is a great way to cut down costs and what DIYer doesn't have plaster of paris?
Start off by picking up some clay that will stay soft so you can reuse it. 

Find some items you could use to press into the clay to make a mold.  Before you press it into the mold she suggests using dusting powder to prevent sticking.  I didn't have any of that, so I just used flour.  Here I used a flower knob, but I also used a finial top and a drawer handle.
Mix up some plaster and spread it into the molds, tap to get rid of bubbles. Make sure to smooth out the top so you will have a flat surface (not shown in this picture).
Wait for them to dry then carefully pull the mold away.  You may have to sand some of the edges, but for very thick areas you want to get rid of a dremel works well.
Come back tomorrow to see what I use one of these for!

Sharing with:
 Embracing Change Beyond The Picket Fence Raising Dick and Jane

7 comments:

  1. That is great, better to spend so much on resins and some embellishments for arts & craft project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific idea - Carol at The Polka Dot Closet is so very clever and always generous in sharing her ideas and tips - I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool. Will have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was referred to your post by another blogger's post and now can't remember, sorry. She made a medallion for a chair. I have some of Eastlake frames that have leaf clusters at each corner, if one or more are missing it's hard to use the frame. Now I can make more leaf clusters, so glad she referred me to your post. I'm printing this out right away.
    I'm in process of making some new art with some of Eastlake frames I've had for years, hadn't used due to missing leaf clusters. So glad to be able to make some. Happy week

    ReplyDelete