Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Knife block repurpose

I came across this heavy knife block at my church garage sale.  It was in the free box.  I knew it could be made into the perfect door stop.  Knife blocks are H.E.A.V.Y.
I have made door stops before.  To see them visit here
I cleaned it up and prepared to add some sass with Glacage.

I put some Glacage in a ziploc bag.  When I used it on my drawer repurpose I just tapped it on.  The consistency kind of reminds me of frosting and I got to thinking about trying this technique out.

I cut a tiny part of the corner off so I could use the bag like I was decorating a cake.

I just randomly made a pattern by gently squeezing the bag.  Once it was dry, I added a top and bottom to the knife block with some scrap wood.  A finial on top added that extra touch it needed to finish it off.  I painted it with some diy white chalk paint. After some distressing I waxed it with some Antique wax.  I have to tell you this wax is the softest and least stinky I have used yet.  It was very easy to work with and there is no need to use clear wax first which is a huge bonus.
The wax was just enough to make the piece look aged.

I was featured at:


Sharing with:
Made to be a Momma
_
Creations by Kara

5 comments:

  1. Great idea to pipe it on! What a cute thing. Sharing on my klems kollectables facebook page.

    Beth
    MBPC
    Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I have never heard of Glacage! I went to the page to see if they had a picture gallery for ideas...Did'nt see one...Bummer! I did not look at the cost, I will go back and look. Great job!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay....! That was a great find turned into a truly GRAND piece!!! Love it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete