Monday, April 1, 2013

How to fix a broken chair leg

I am going to share with you how I fixed a broken chair leg.  The break was very close to the bottom of the chair.
The point that you see was the bottom of the leg, it is just missing a small triangle.

I started off by tracing the outline of the good leg.

Then I traced where the broken piece was.  I found a small piece of scrap wood that was about the size of the leg.

I cut out the piece and glued it in place.  In this case since the piece was so small, I also used some small finishing nails for extra support.  If the leg would have been broken further up I would have drilled holes and inserted a dowel.
Once it was dry and all set, I got to painting it.

It was such a unique looking piece, you can see why I fixed it.  I painted it with some black diy chalk paint, then coated it in Vermont Natural Coatings wipe on polywhey

Now I had to figure out how to support the gaping hole in the back.  My first thought was jute webbing, but there was no place that my stapler would fit to secure the top.  Instead there was a gap that I could slide a piece of wood into.  Aha!
I secure the fabric with a few staples, tacked down the wood at the bottom and proceeded on.
I added some batting on top of the board and my cover fabric for the front of the chair.  I then tucked both pieces of fabric under and stapled all the way around.
You can see the staples in this pic, but no worries, they will be covered with some black trim.

I had my husband cut a board for the seat and covered that as well.

Here is a photo of the back so you can see how it turned out.  This chair would make such a statement at a desk, don't you think?

Featured at:

 
http://www.betterafter.net/

Sharing with:
Grab a button!

Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Designed DecorBoogieboard CottageMonday2 Make the Scene Monday #68

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic tip and the chair came out great! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the contrast of Chevron on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, you did a fantastic job! I would love for you to share this at my link party, my readers would love it! http://designeddecor.com/talkin-thursday-link-party-14/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! Love the two contrasting fabrics!

    XO,
    Christy@confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful transformation. Love the color scheme. Nice job, Dee from My Painted Stuff

    ReplyDelete