Wednesday, April 24, 2013

head and footboard bench

I have posted some benches in the past, but this is my first one using a head and a foot board.  I love how this one turned out, probably because the headboard had so much detail already.  I am a sucker for detail.
Here it is in my "junk pile" waiting to get started.  I cut the foot board to make the side rails of the bench. The foot board was too long to use the hole thing, so I cut it about 15 inches in on both sides.

I had a set of side rails from another bed that I used for the seat box.  They weren't going to be used for a bed anymore due to a broken part, so why not reuse them?

I built the box using good old wood glue and screws.

We attached the side rails using dowels and wood glue ( just like I fixed the broken arm chair) at the top and the bottom I used L brackets (that part was pretty thin so I didn't want to risk splitting it).  I cut some boards to fit the seat.  I also added a board in the middle of the box to support weight in the middle of the seat.
I was primed, painted and sealed.

I was going to do a pretty staged photo, but by the time it dried and I had help to move it out, it started to rain.  Couldn't move this one on my own so this is the best I can do.
Isn't it cute?  I would love to see it with some really colorful pillows!

Sharing with:

Made to be a Momma

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You did an awesome job on your project.....love the color too! neeCee at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love a headboard/footboard bench. Yours is so cute! Thank you for sharing at redoux interiors!

    ReplyDelete