Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Beachy Sofa Table

I have had this small sofa table/foyer table for a while.  I was patiently waiting for the vinegar/penny stain to turn blue so I could replace the top and stain it the "Caribbean blue" that was promised with this technique.  The vinegar and pennies stain did not turn blue, instead I got a orange-red stain.  I did some research and found out you need pennies from the 1960's or earlier or you can use a piece of copper.  From my research I also found out that it took about 8 coats to get the blue color...um, I'm not that patient right now.  Maybe another project...later.


My husband brought this table home for me to work some magic with.  The top was on crooked and it was warped.  I had already started to take it off in this photo.  I decided to cut some boards and do a wash on the top instead of the penny stain.  In order for the stark white base to go with the top, I heavily distressed it. 

For the wash I used La Craie by Maison Blanche paint.  The color was Robin's Egg Blue.  I simply added some water and wiped it on the boards with a cloth.

I protected it with Vermont Natural Coatings wipe on Polywhey.

Featured at:
Old Red Barn

Sharing with:
DIY Show Off
Old Red Barn

5 comments:

  1. Great job, love the blue color. Regards, Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I love the distressing. Thank you for joining the Crafty Country Cottage Link Party!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, you were featured at the link party today!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love this transformation!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete