Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tin can to mosaic planter

The first day of spring has officially arrived.  I am itching to be able to get out and dig in the dirt.  Since it is still a little cold here in Michigan, that isn't going to happen.  Instead I will make a planter for something to grow in.
I collected these large tin cans from some wheat I bought, knowing they could be turned into something...
Hmmm, I could cover it with twine and some fabric flowers, but if I wanted to use it outside, it wouldn't last long.
I decided to do a mosaic...something I have never done before.  The Weldbond in the photo is what I started to work with.  Luckily, I tested a small area first and let it dry 24 hours.  It didn't work.  Maybe it had to do with it being metal.  I did some research and read that Liquid Nails makes a weather resistant adhesive, so I went with that.

Doing a mosaic worked out perfectly since I had a lot of tile and I just broke one of my favorite plates. :(
It did half of the can, let that dry and then did the other half.  The liquid nails has to set a while.  You have to have patience...that's so hard!


I had some of the non-sanded grout from making chalk board paint.

I mixed the grout with water until it had a nice thick consistency.
Smear it on and work it into the cracks.  After it is all covered, wipe off the excess with a damp sponge until all the tiles are cleaned.  If you are going to do this and use it as a planter you need to punch holes in the bottom for drainage.
After doing this project,  I realize mosaic is not my thing.  I like the color combination, but this is the last one I will do.  Can't wait til it warms up so I can plant something in it!

Sharing with:
Raising Dick and Jane
HookingupwithHoHPhotobucket
Designed Decor

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea for broken plates. My son broke one of my prettier plates yesterday and its still sitting on my counter...didn't want to throw away such a lovely pattern. So glad it can get a new life as something else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful project! I have always enjoyed mosaic and have had to become very creative in finding 'tiles'. I, too, break my own. If you happen to know a resource for purchasing the very small square tiles I'd love to have it. Hopping here from Talkin' About Thursday and will follow.

    Marie @ http://123craftcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this idea since it reuses what we use and can be so easily used and look attractive
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to try doing mosaic, I figured it was just too complicated and required many tools (which at the time, I wasn't ready to invest in if I didn't LOVE creating mosaics), but I do love mosaics... Very neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great!! I could test myself on that before doing my backsplash! ha/ha Pinned & Tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great one, like the idea of using leftover tin cans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I have never tried mosaics before but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great!!! Can't wait till I get mine done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how this tuned out! Very creative!

    Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos
    http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete