Monday, March 11, 2013

Radio cabinet


Before I get started on telling you about this makeover, I have to tell you about this cabinet.  I found it last summer at a garage sale...for $3!  SOLD!  It had a few issues with some bubbles in the veneer and the cabinet was gutted and not in great condition inside.

When I got it home and really started to examine my treasure, I ran across some really neat details.

Although the radio was missing, (which is fine by me) it still had the log of the stations the family listened to.  You can also see the Pooley Radio Cabinet plaque just above the log.

Here you can see the neat detail on the legs and the door fronts.  I glued down the bubbles and filled in a few scratches with some wood glue.
I began to paint her in a beautiful blue called "Beach House"
After the first coat on the main body, I realized she would be nice as a two tone.
I mixed some cream and white together and painted the doors. If you look close, you can see some of the detailed parts on the doors was bleeding through. 
I did some distressing.  I thought I would use a dark wax to see if the stain showing through blend.  I didn't like it and neither did my husband.  Plan 2... 
I went over the detail with the Beach House blue and it looks finished now.  Cover with some clear wax- finished.
The inside is still waiting to be fixed up, but that's another day, another post.
Have a Blessed day!
Sharing with:
DIY Show Off

http://www.sumossweetstuff.com/
Glitter, Glue & Paint

2 comments:

  1. So pretty. I love the blue and white combination and all the beautiful details of this piece of furniture. I can't believe you got it for $3!!! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful and the fact is was $3 is double bonus. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursdays.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete