Friday, March 1, 2013

My first Award

I am honored to be chosen for the Liebster Award.  Brittany over at Creating Space for 5 has nominated me for this award. 
Liebster in German, means endearing, valued, lovely, etc. This award is presented as a way to acknowledge up and coming bloggers and to help them be recognized for their outstanding accomplishments within design that is presented on their blog.

At first I was very excited to see that someone found my blog and thought it was something noteworthy.  Then, I was a little overwhelmed by the task of finding 11 other blogs!  Lo and behold, it didn't take me that long to find them.  If you are one that I chose to nominate, and you feel the same way, take a deep breath and go for it.

OFFICIAL RULES FOR RECEIVING THE AWARD

1. Each blogger should post 11 random facts about themselves.

2. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you, and then create 11 new questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.

3. Choose 11 new bloggers (with less than 200 followers) to pass the award to and link them in your post.

4. Go back to their page and tell them about the award.

5. No tag backs.
So let's get started!  Here are 11 fun facts about me, Sara.
1. I was a dancer and a competitive gymnast when I was younger.
2. I love to read.  Christian fiction is something that keeps me humbled and reminds me what it is all about.
3. I met my husband while working at a golf course.
4. I love to cook and try out new recipes.
5. I am the youngest in my family.  My 2 older sisters and I are so different, it makes me wonder how different my kids will be once they find out who they are.
6. I am a mother of 2 wonderful children. 
7. I have a degree that I never used.
8. I gave up junk food when I was a freshman in high school. - Yep, I am talking cookies, cakes, chips, etc (And I don't miss it one bit)
9. I like to be active with my family- we take walks, go hiking, play tennis, and more.
10. I browse the free section on craigslist...daily.
11. I enjoy gardening, both flowers and vegetables.
Here are my answers to the questions that Brittany from Creating Space for 5 asked me to answer.
1.  When did you first recognize that you had a love for interior design/art/crafts/organization?
I have always been into crafts, but branched out into decorating and furniture about 4 years ago.
2.  What would you say is your best and your worst DIY project or design decision?
Best DIY project would have to be a bench I restored that I keep at the end of my bed.
 My worst DIY design would be my living room curtains.  I will be redoing them in the near future and will keep you up to date.
3.  What other blogs really inspire you?
 My Repurposed life and 4 the Love of Wood are my inspiration.  I love how they can make something completely different out of scraps or basic furniture.
4.  How would you describe your home/decor style?
 I am not sure I have a style, but  I like elegant calm.  A little french country, some shabby chic, some traditional, some romantic.  Anything with curves and detail.
5.  If you could have any job in the world what would it be?
 I wouldn't change what I do.  I love being a mom and I love redoing furniture and other things.
6.  What have been your highs and lows when it comes to blogging?
I love getting comments- definitely a high!  The low is trying to keep up with myself and keep trying to think outside of the box.

7.  Name one of your most embarrassing moments.
 Oh goodness, it would have to be the time that I was at the end of a pier and a wave came over my head.  I turned to run and ran right into a pole.  I was probably 14.
8. What is one design/decor trend you can't get enough of?  What is one you wish would go away forever?
I love anything that has french curves and a lot of detail.
I am not a fan of the "contemporary" style.
9.  What items do you consider worth splurging $$ on?
This is a tough one for me, I have been trained these last few years to be as frugal as possible.  I would have to say healthy food.  It is expensive to eat healthy, but Oh so important.

10. Where are your favorite places to shop?
I have always loved TJ Maxx, you find so many in style yet unique items. 

11.  What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time?
In my spare time, I love to be with my family.  Especially on a nice summer day!
Drum roll...
11 Questions for the above nominees:
1. Why did you decide to start blogging?
2. What did you wish you would have known about blogging before you started?
3. What is the biggest thing you have learned since you started blogging?
4. What is your favorite frugal diy tip?
5. What are your 2 favorite blogs to follow?
6. If you could redo one of your projects which would it be and why?
7. What is your favorite project that you have completed?
8. What is your favorite book?
9. What is your design style?
10. What is your go to decorating color?
11. What is something new you would like to try?
 

4 comments:

  1. 1. Why did you decide to start blogging? I decided to start blogging when my nest emptied and I rediscovered my love of repurposing furniture.
    2. What did you wish you had known about blogging before you started? Everything! I am not a very technology saavy person. I started my blog on another site that I could not navigate very well. It took some time to find a blog site that was simple enough for me to use regularly on my iPad. I honestly started blogging for my own sanity and was suprised that my friends were reading what I wrote. It is always fun for me to hear from people far away from southeast Texas who read my blog.
    3. What is the biggest thing you have learned since you started blogging?
    4. What is your favorite frugal diy tip? Buy sample sizes of quality paint before buying a quart. Most end tables, small dressers or chairs can be painted with one or two sample containers. The cost of two sample size containers is less than a quart and if you are only going to use that color once it is the best deal.
    5. What are your 2 favorite blogs to follow? I follow a ton of blogs but my favorite is Roadkill Rescue http://roadkillrescue.net and 4 the Love of Wood http://4theloveofwood.blogspot.com/
    6. If you could redo one of your projects which would it be and why? I would redo most of them if I had the energy. I think I am my own worst critic. The project I am least fond of is an armoire that I painted with chalkboard paint. I plan on turning it into a craft cabinet but the doors are not even and they drive me nuts. 7. What is your favorite project that you have completed? Turning a roadside dresser into a mudroom bench. I love everything about that project. The idea of repurposing, the color I chose and the practicality of the completed project.
    8. What is your favorite book? I love anything by Nicholas Sparks. I work in education so most of the books I read are to improve my job. It is fun to read a book that takes me to Beaufort, South Carolina for a short visit.
    9. What is your design style? I am really in love with anyting that is aged, weathered and has a story. There is very little brand new furnishings or art in my home.
    10. What is your go to decorating color? Red at our lake house and blue tones at our city house.
    11. What is something new you would like to try? I want to learn to uphoster furniture. I can do a simple cushion but I want to do a wingback chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this! It is fun to get to know our fellow bloggers. I am going to have to check out that bench you made! My advice for upholstering- start with taking the chair apart and learn how it was put together. Use the fabric as a template and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nomination! I will get on it as soon as I can. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nomination! I'm finished! http://limelanelove.com/2013/03/03/the-liebster-award/#more-454

    ReplyDelete