Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How to turn a dresser into a bench

This roadside pick up was in sad shape with all but 2 drawers broken.  See what I did with the broken drawers here.
I decided to either turn it into a bench or a dress up closet.  I went with bench once I saw how much scraping I was going to have to do to get the poor spray paint job off the dresser.
I like it when things make up my mind for me!
I started by cutting out all the drawer supports- since I was planning on possibly doing a closet, in retrospect I didn't have to do all that for the bench.
The top part was cut off and wooden supports were added to the sides and in the middle.
You can see in this picture I had started scraping the purple paint off.

I cut some wood to create the seat and added cushion and some fabric.  This fabric has tiny stripes of blue and black.
After the dresser was painted black with diy chalk paint I attached the top using some L brackets.
A word about chalk paint- I have been making it for a while now.  I (somewhere) ran across someone else who makes it, but they do it differently.
You use 3 parts paint and 1 part plaster of paris just like I was doing, but instead of mixing the plaster of paris with water, then adding the paint, they put the paint in, then the plaster of paris.  After that they mixed in warm water.  I tried it and I love it!
It is much easier to mix and is somehow smoother!
I switched out the handles and waxed it for protection. 

Sharing with:
http://www.creationsbykara.com http://diyshowoff.com/category/other/diy-project-parade/
Photobucket
 

6 comments:

  1. I've done this too! It's so fun to cut up furniture! I hope you used the top for something. The one I had I made two pieces out of it.
    great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely. The top is waiting for the right project!

      Delete
  2. I really like this! Especially if you have a badly damaged dresser. Very clever.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, I have a dresser that I found curbside that was in the same sort of condition....2 drawers were gone...it has been sitting in my shop for 4 months...just waiting for inspiration... YOU have inspired me! :) This will be my weekend project. I will mention you in my post. :) check out my blog and I will let you know when I post it. Thanks again... love your blog. upcycleaddict.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, I have a dresser that I found curbside that was in the same sort of condition....2 drawers were gone...it has been sitting in my shop for 4 months...just waiting for inspiration... YOU have inspired me! :) This will be my weekend project. I will mention you in my post. :) check out my blog and I will let you know when I post it. Thanks again... love your blog. upcycleaddict.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete