Friday, February 15, 2013

Tuffting on an old headboard

This headboard had seen better days.  With a broken support leg, it just wasn't working anymore.  It still had potential so I re-created it.
I started by cutting off both support legs.  They aren't really necessary in having a headboard.  You can just hang one on the wall by a self made or store bought french cleat.

I painted the trim part at the top with white diy chalk paint.  I then filled in the part below the trim with foam and batting.  Once again,  used a drop cloth to cover the whole thing. Being sure to staple it all securely in place.
Here is where I am laying out the buttons for tufting to see how I wanted to do this.  Normally, you drill the holes first before you even foam and cover the headboard.  When I started laying out the foam to see how everything would piece together, I decided I didn't want to take it apart so I drilled the holes after.  I covered buttons using a kit I found at Walmart and some matching fabric.  I did not use a drop cloth for the buttons.  Past experience tells me it is too thick.  Luckily I had some fabric that matched but was much thinner.

Update:
I forgot to mention how I did the edge under the white trim...
The drop cloth is stapled there and the staples need to be covered with something.  I didn't have any of the lacey trim and I didn't feel like sewing, so, you know what I used?  The sewn edge of the drop cloth!  I cut the sewn seam off about a 1/4" away from the seam.  I hot glued the cut edge down then folded the sewn edge over it with a little more hot glue.  This is what it looks like:

It has such pretty lines, I am glad I salvaged it.  Now, I could have done a smoother job if I used 2 different sheets of foam to fill in the headboard, but I used lots of leftover foam I had.  I did an experiment to see if the tufting would hide that.  It doesn't entirely, but I  Think it is fine.

Sharing with:
 Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. your tufted headboard looks great! I have a question--did you lay the drop cloth down, and staple it all around the top of the headboard, then lay it over the foam?
    thanks!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the headboard on saw horses, lay the foam over the headboard, tacked it down in places, lay batting over that, then placed the drop cloth on top of all those layers. Once it was lined up right, I stapled it all around the back on the sides and bottom. The top got stapled under the trim, then I covered that part with the sewn edge of the drop cloth that I cut off and attached with hot glue. It was a shortcut since I didn't feel like sewing :) I hope that clarifies it.

      Delete