Thursday, February 14, 2013

Share love... and a valentine mantel

Happy Valenine's Day!  Before I get to my Valentine mantel I have something important to share with you.

It is always heart breaking to hear stories of people battling cancer.  I have recently become aware of a young man who is battling brain cancer for the second time in his life.  The first time he was only 3 years old! He has been cancer free for 10 years (if you do the math, he battled for 5 years) and now was diagnosed again at the age of 18.
Staples in head

My husband works with his father.  It is always hits closer to home when it is someone you know.  I couldn't imagine going through what they are going through.

I am asking for your prayers, not only for Max, but for all who suffer and need God's saving grace.

You can read his story and watch his video at MAXyourBRAIN  If you would like to help those with brain cancer there is a tax deductible donation button on his site.  It will help aid in the research and treatment of all those suffering with this dreadful disease.
Hail to the Victors

Now, on to my Valentine post:
Mini pom poms are all over the web right now and I don't have any valentine decorations.  I decided to do something about that.  I had all the things I needed to do this project I had in my head.
  1. yarn
  2. fork
  3. felt (red)
I got to work by gathering the materials.

Pom poms are easy to make.  The fork I chose was a serving fork so the pom poms would be a little bigger.


You wrap the yarn around the fork lots of times, tie it together tight in the middle, then snip the edges.
I did this in pink and white.

I cut out the word love in my felt.  I decided to glue some pearls to trace the word.  I had other ideas too, like sewing 2 together and filling the word to make it puffy, or using sequins.  The pearls were a little simpler and I had just enough.
All that was left to do was attach the pom poms and the word Love to make the garland.

I used a large needle and red yarn.  It went through the pom poms and felt easily.
 Don't you just love my work table? (my lap)

Here it is.  The word love was inspired by pinterest- a way to write love without lifting your pen.  I will have to find it again.

Sharing with:
 http://diyshowoff.com/category/other/that-diy-party/
http://raisingdickandjane.blogspot.com
PhotobucketHookingupwithHoH

Designed Decor

10 comments:

  1. That's so super cute! You always do such nice crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very cute, I had no idea what you were going to create, but it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable!!! Great trick for those. Pinned & Tweeted!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This simple craft is just so adorable. Prayers sent to this young man. My mom is also a cancer survivor and I understand how it feels for a come-back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your prayers are greatly appreciated! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete