Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Crackle finish made with glue

Did you know you can use glue as a medium to make a crackle finish?  I didn't either, until I ran across this post.  All it takes is regular white glue like Elmers glue all.
I had a chance to try this finish on a mirror my mom had.  This mirror is one of the first pieces of furniture she bought after she and my dad got married and it is one of the only ones she has held onto.  Needless to say, it was still in its original finish some 42 years later!


She bought a new console table for her entry way last year and wanted this mirror to match.
I brought it home and spread the Elmers glue all on the frame.  

After waiting til it was tacky, I painted over it with black paint.
This picture doesn't show the crackle great because of the glare, but I dare not move it yet, it is still wet.
That is better, now you can see it.
Now you can see why the gold just wasn't working for her anymore.  Much better!


Here is a close up of the console table.  You can see why we went with the crackle look.
Sharing with:

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful - great to know I can do it without that expensive stuff from Lowe's!! Pinned & Tweeted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really easy to do and much cheaper, too!

      Delete
  2. How cool. I had no idea you could do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is neat, huh? It does work, too. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Pretty neat. Love multipurpose items! Elmer's glue at that! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really cool. Your always so smart with crafts.

    ReplyDelete