Thursday, February 21, 2013

Banana muffins- recipe gets a healthy makeover

I am taking a break from furniture today to share a recipe.
I have had this recipe for a few years and my family loves them.  The original recipe is the usual white flour, butter, and more of the "not as healthy" products.
I am going to share with you my version of this recipe with the "healthier" options.

Banana Muffins

1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (I grind my own)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup of white sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1/3 cup of applesauce

Topping
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon of butter

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease muffin tin (I use a regular sized 12 muffin tin).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter.  Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and cinnamon.  Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.  Sprinkle topping over muffins.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

I have not found a way to make the topping without butter to make it healthier. If you know of one, I would love to hear it.  You can always leave the topping off.  You can also substitute 2 egg whites for the 1 egg to lower cholesterol and fat content.

I always try to incorporate fresh ground wheat flour into all of my recipes. It's health benefits are something amazing. I have linked to an article explaining some benefits.  Take some time and browse it or search for yourself on google.  It is something to look into.

Sharing with:
Photobucket

Designed Decor

No comments:

Post a Comment