Friday, February 22, 2013

Awesome way to update your cabinets

Ok, I am so excited to share this with you all!  It is always nice to be able to upgrade your kitchen cabinets so you don't have the plain builder grade look.  Well, budgets can sometimes get in the way.  I am about to show you how I added legs to my kitchen cabinets for free!  No buying legs, but a little sweat goes a long way!
I picked up these chairs from freecycle.  I knew they were broken, but you can do lots with spindles, so I got them.
You can see here I started to cut the foot off the leg.  Besides the 8 matching feet on these chairs, there are also sections on the leg itself that will match once cut to fit.  That gives me 16 of these matching feet!
I figure I need 12 for my kitchen and I can use the rest for our 2 bathrooms.
For the time being they are a good enough match...until I can convince my husband to let me paint the cabinets!
At this point they are just standing under the cabinets.  I still have lots more to cut, then I will figure out how I want to attach them.  Maybe just some wood glue.  I was too excited with this great find that I had to share it with you...NOW :)
So, don't pass up those broken chairs, you never know what you can do with them!

I was featured at:
 

Sharing with:
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. I hope your husband gives in!!! I just love painted cabinets and can't believe it took me 6 years to paint my builders grade oak cabinets. They look great and I am so happy that I finally did it. Also, great idea for reusing the broken chair legs. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to...it just might have to happen this summer. Can't have the legs not matching!

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great idea!
    So clever.
    Hang in there. I appreciate a woman who respects her husbands wishes. We all have to pick our battles...painting cabinets isn't one of them!
    there are far more important things to fuss about...like which way the paper should come off the roll...front or back! lol...

    great idea, like the look. via CCC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support! I like your sense of humor!

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I am totally kicking myself now about passing by two broken chairs that somebody was throwing out the other day. I did run out to the garage and grab two table legs to see if they would work on my kitchen after seeing your post. But, they are too tall and all of the cool features about them would end up cut.

    I painted our kitchen cabinets a few years ago. Only the front of them were oak, the sides were not. So, I added beadboard to the ends of the cabinets. Painted the cabinets black, sanded and stained them. I love them. My husband wasn't sure about it when I suggested it to him but he loves them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your eye open, you never know when you will run into something that will be just right. Thanks for stopping by and offering your words on encouragement.

      Delete
  4. You are SOOOOOO smart!
    I LOVE this idea!
    Susan
    SunflowerHugs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks! I appreciate that. You put a smile on my face.

      Delete
  5. love it love it love it!!! I have the same problem with my hubby--he thinks it is sacrilege to paint poplar cabinets. the wooden legs will really help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so clever!!! Thank you for sharing. I have a bunch of broken chairs I could do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea!! :O Now to convince my husband this need to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love using old parts for new uses!

    great job with the legs.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! I've been saving a huge tub full of spare spindles & legs just waiting for the perfect project(s) and this is it! I've had it bookmarked for-ever to add legs to my cabinets but was waiting for the funds to purchase 'feet.' Now I have the perfect $0 solution. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is such a great idea! I am definitely going to have to keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete