Thursday, February 7, 2013

Adventures in painting upholstery

I have a set of chairs that was given to me by a friend.   A little outdated, but in great condition.  I have been wanting to try my hand at painting upholstery and since the fabric on these chairs was/is still perfectly usable, I decided to go for it.  I can always tear it off and recover it if I don't like how it turns out, right?
The photo is a little blurry, and as you can see, I already taped it off to prepare for the painting.  Always getting ahead of myself.
I hemmed and hawed about what color to go with.  I thought maybe an aqua, but then I decided to go neutral.  This khaki color is almost the same color as a drop cloth, just a little more grey.
I used a fabric medium and interior paint.  Followed the instructions and mixed the 1:2 ratio.  It took me 3 coats. Make sure you sand, it is very important to sand between coats or you will have a very stiff and crusty cushion.  I added a nice crisp white chalk paint for the wood parts. Some clear wax went over that.
I am wondering what you think?  Should it have a pattern, or do you like it plain and simple?  I would love to hear your thoughts.
My thoughts on painting upholstery...the jury is still out.  No doubt it is cheaper and less painful than recovering the chair, but I am not sure I am sold on the finished feeling.  I keep thinking what it would feel like to sit on in the middle of summer with shorts on.  HMMM

Sharing with:
Photobucket
 

2 comments:

  1. wow! great job. I've always wanted to do this. I think it's screaming for a coffee sack graphic, or a faux strip of webbing... LOVE it!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look into that! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete