Monday, January 14, 2013

Make an ottoman out of a large chair

Ottomans are all the rage right now.  Many people are trading in their coffee tables or using their coffee tables to make an ottoman.  It is a great idea!  Ottomans are more versatile and can be used for extra seating when company is over.

Are you ready for this transformation???
Start with 1 Big (Ugly) chair


I have had this chair in this exact state in my basement corner for a year and a half!  I thought maybe one day I would reupholster it.  I didn't feel up to it.  One day I noticed that the base is a square...perfect shape for an ottoman.

Bonus: It has springs under it to make it comfortable.  

Let the cutting begin!  It was just attached in 4 places with wood that needed to be cut.
This is it after cutting off the arms and back of the chair.
I have the cushion and other foam the same size.  I cut the foam to fill in the missing pieces and glued it together.  (I don't like to use the spray glue because of all the chemicals so I used hot glue).
Here is the foam all cut out and covered in batting.
Next I spread out my fabric (a drop cloth) and then placed the foam on top.
This is a picture of the bottom of the foam where I put tufting.  I learned this technique from tearing apart a chair one day.  The just tied the string around some fabric.  So I did 4 tufting buttons just like this.

I placed the base on top of the fabric, and foam that I just tufted together and started stapling all 4 sides to the frame.  The corners are the tricky part.  Tuck them in like a present and staple to hold it in place where you can.  Then proceed to staple the flap down on the bottom of the ottoman.  Not sure if that makes sense. I also stitched up the sides for a crisper look.
Next I drilled holes that were big enough for my insert nuts.  This is the best way to install your legs.  Much cheaper that those metal brackets, and I think they are sturdier too.  Simply screw the insert nut into the drilled hole then screw in your legs.  I found the legs at a garage sale for a couple of bucks!

Here it is!  What a transformation!  I was contemplating painting a design on it, but I am not sure what to do.  Would you paint it?  What kind of design?

Here it is again with a side by side before and after!

Featured on:
Photobucket

Sharing with:
DIY Show Off
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a transformation. You have a lot of creativity, I would have never thought to do that. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am trying to think outside the box a little more and make new things. It is fun and exciting to see how things turn out.

      Delete
  2. Ohh. I want that! Lol beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just thinking outside of the box!

      Delete
  3. Great job! I don't think I have it in me to start such a big job, but you did a fantastic job. Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! Just break things down into small steps and it will come together.

      Delete
  4. WOW! That is awesome, Sara! Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Featuring this tonight on Kammy's Korner! :) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a facelift you gave that old chair! The color looks good just as it is, but I bet one of your drawer trays would complement it! Nice work!

    Val @ artsybuildinglady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete