See the detail on the legs?
Here is a close look at the bottom. What were they thinking?
After taking the seat off and discarding the decaying leather, I found this. It looks like it was in a fire and they covered it up just like this.
Actually the wood is in very solid condition it is only a surface burn.
I removed the wicker and replaced it with straps. (all different kinds- I used what was in my stash) then covered it with fabric lining.
The seat then got covered in foam and batting and I stapled to the frame.
From there it got covered in some drop cloth.
I had a little foot stool that I decided to paint along with this chair and as I was painting it I figured they would make a great pair. So I covered that in drop cloth too.
This picture looks a little dirty, but that is because I had gotten it damp to prepare for a Graphics Fairy graphic to transfer to the covers of both the chair and the foot stool. She has so many transfers and techniques to do it posted on her blog. Awesome thing to use for any project.
This one didn't turn out as good as the chair did (you will see that photo at the end of the post). I think it was too wet. I used the freezer paper transfer method where you print on freezer paper, dampen your surface, then rub with the back of a spoon.
This was the only loose part on the chair, so I used some wood glue.