Thursday, December 27, 2012

How to make a neck warmer

Scarves are all the rage right now.  There are so many styles and ways to use them.  I came across a neck warmer tutorial in a book I checked out from the library.


The book is called Improv Sewing by Nicole Blum and Debra Immergut.

This book is filled with tutorials on some very cute sewing projects including the neck warmer seen here:

I decided to try a few of my own.  They recommend to use felted wool from a sweater or fabric.  I made some out of fleece I had on hand and from one of my husbands sweaters that had a hole in it.
Here is how I did it:

I cut out the sweater and a piece of cotton knit in a matching or contrasting color.  The dimensions I cut are 17 1/4" x 5 1/2".


Sew the neck warmer so the correct sides are both facing OUT. When you sew these together you want to pull and stretch the fabric so you get a cute ruffle around the edges.  You use a zig zag stitch all the way around.  There is no turning it inside out- super easy!
This is what it looks like after it has been sewn all the way around.  See the cute ruffled edges?

On this one I used a fabric flower that I rolled and twisted then sewed it on with a button in the middle.  You can also cut out some of your sweater or felt with layers of different sizes to make your flower.

Next come the snaps.  I sewed one on the flower end on the opposite side (the jersey knit side). Then I wrapped it around my neck to see where I would place the other snap.  It ended up being 3" in. This one gets sewed on the sweater side on the opposite end.

This is what The finished product looks like on.  Don't you just love my outfit?  It is cold in Michigan and I was having a stay at home sew day.

Here are a few different ones I made.  The Pink one is of fleece and needs the snap moved in.  It was the first one I made.
I hope you make yourself one now.  They are super warm and very cute!

Linked to:
DIY Show Off

No comments:

Post a Comment