Monday, March 2, 2015

Fireplace screen DIY

Some of you may have seen my post about things you can make with plain cabinet doors.  Today I am going to share a new project with more of those cabinet doors.  If you have ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I still have more!


Here are the 3 doors I will be using for this project.  

I took off all the hinges that were still on them.  I sketched out a design to be cut so they would have a little more sass.  



Here is what they look like all cut.

I added raised stencils along the top and bottom of each door.  You can use glacage, plaster of paris, or spackle, which is what I used this time.



Here is what it looked like after the raised stencils were added.  I really like this green and white, but it had to be painted.  I added hinges to connect the doors together.
This is the piece after I painted it with old white.

Here it is after clear and antiquing wax were added.


Definitely more shabby chic, but I think I still miss the green.  What do you think?

Obviously this is just for decoration.  It's made of wood and wouldn't be a good choice to actually use in front of a burning fire.


Photobucket
Treasure Hunt Thursday- From My Front Porch To Yours
Savvy Southern Style

Thursday, February 26, 2015

You found a sewing cabinet...now what?

These sewing machine cabinets are all over the place.  Recently while visiting a barn sale, the guy practically offered to give me one.  Even if you don't want to use it as a sewing machine cabinet, you can find other ways to use them and some are as easy as painting it.  Others, though not as easy, can be amazing.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sharpie Disaster to Black Beauty

This dresser has seen better days.  I was joking with my husband that people should be fined for treating good furniture like this...

 Right?  Who does this to a solid wood dresser?
It took 2 scrub downs to get it clean.  The sharpie wasn't coming off and I didn't worry about that.


The bones are solid.  There were a couple of repairs, like tightening tracts and sanding down drawers.
I painted it in graphite.  This will hide the sharpie and bring out the nice lines in the curved drawers and legs.

I used a shimmer cream to create a damask pattern.  It just so happens that it looks gold so I added some antique gold and black pulls.

 After sanding the drawers, I used wax paper and rubbed it on all the spots that touch the inside of the dresser.  This helps them to slide smoothly.

Much better, I'd say!
PhotobucketH&GT BUTTON FALLMoonlight and Mason Jars Link PartyIvy and ElephantsVintage Inspiration Party
Embracing Change

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Making coat racks- 3 different versions

Coat racks are a necessity.  We have to have somewhere to hang stuff, right?  There are lots of simple coat racks, but here I am going to share some up cycled coat racks that add some interest to a space.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Plain piano bench goes glamorous

I picked up this piano bench simply because of the legs.  I mean, could you pass those up?  Not me.  The more curves and sass, the better.  I went with a glamorous bench for this transformation.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Things you can make with plain cabinet doors

I purchased a lot of 100 of these doors.  If you enjoy salvaging and re purposing, you can see why.  There is nothing fancy about plain closet and cabinet doors.  The best part about them is that they are wood.  The ones I picked up all had rounded edges which creates a nice finished look.

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Chair and headboard bench

This is my first attempt at making one of these chair and headboard benches.  It turned out great and I am eager to get some pieces to make more.


This project started with a pair of these chairs.  While one was very sturdy, the other was not.  It's not easy to fix a wobbly chair and make the sturdiness last.  So, I decided to take them apart and build a bench.

I have had this headboard for a while and am finally able to put it to use.  I did a dry fit test here to see how it would look.

My next step was to build the box frame so everything would be nice and sturdy.

I added the headboard, some slats for the seat and started to paint it.



Once the paint was dry and the bench was sealed, I added a neat tufted cushion.

Here is a close up of the wood I used for the front.  Was probably a dresser skirt at one point in time.



Hope you enjoyed this post.  If you are interested in learning how to make this cushion, let me know and I will do a tutorial.

Featured at:
Photobucket




Sharing with:


mad-skills-party.jpg
10308754_10203781373763465_7536899127074402936_nPhotobucketPhotobucket